Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Out @ Daybreakers Reviews

Thanks to everyone who came out to see Daybreakers! It was quite the experience including a few moments of good scare and lots of vampire-related conversation at the Second Cup.

Let's start off with a quick recap of the plot:
"The year is 2019. A mysterious plague has swept over the earth, transforming the majority of the world's population into vampires. Humans are now an endangered, second-class species -- forced into hiding as they are hunted and farmed for vampire consumption to the brink of extinction. It's all up to Edward Dalton, a vampire researcher who refuses to feed on human blood, to perfect a blood substitute that might sustain vampires and spare the few remaining humans. But time and hope are running out -- until Ed meets Audrey, a human survivor who leads him to a startling medical breakthrough. Armed with knowledge that both humans and vampires will kill for, Ed must battle his own kind in a deadly struggle that will decide the fate of the human race."

And what did our moviegoers think?
  • Better than New Moon; an actual vampire movie - Tara H
  • I think it was great movie. I liked it! - Xian W
  • I screamed so f***ing loud in the scary preview (for the "Crazies" car wash scene) that it certainly set the tone for the feature presentation and the rest of the night. I am sure everyone was more entertained because I was scared out of my be-jesus wits. Movies about vampires are really good. I like being human though. I did my last Will and Testament earlier and got me thinking... if I was to die by converting to Vampire, then would I need to execute my Will? - Curtis C
  • Willhem Dafoe chews up the scenery and Sam Neil slurps up the gooey leavings. An interesting vision of what a "world on blood" could look like. I recommend this movie to anyone who's tired of sparkly abusive boyfriend "vampires" and prefer to see that the real monster is the vampire, but the twisted human nature beneath it. Oh, and Ethan Hawke can bite me, seriously. - Curtis L.
Afterwards, we headed down to Second Cup and had discussions regarding various aspects of the movie and vampires. For example, if the vampirism is spread by some sort of disease, why didn't they have reflections? If they had reflections, how could they be recorded on video? When will the vampire movie trend end? Who's sexier; vampires or werewolves? <- that last question depends greatly on which vampires you're considering.

What about February? Right now, there are 5 potential movies:
  • Dear John
  • From Paris with Love
  • The Wolfman
  • Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief
  • Valentine's Day
That's it for now. See you soon!

Kirk

No comments:

Post a Comment